Security Guard FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions – Security Guard (G)

1. What are the requirements for registering as a Security Guard?

The general requirements for a Security Guard are:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); and
  • Complete a 40-hour course of required training. The training and exam may be administered by any private patrol operator or by a certified training facility.

2. What is the length of term for a Security Guard registration?

A security guard registration is valid for two years.

3. When does my Security Guard registration expire?

A security guard registration expires the day after the expiration date on the card. You have 60 days grace period in which you can pay a delinquent fee (see fee schedule). After 60 days if you have not renewed, you must reapply as a new applicant.

4. If I lost my security guard registration, or it was destroyed or damaged, how do I obtain a duplicate?

You may request a duplicate registration by submitting a written request, explaining the circumstances, along with a $10 fee to the Bureau. Please allow six to eight weeks for replacement.

5. Can a Security Guard work for more than one employer?

Yes, as long as he/she is an employee, on payroll with the proper payroll deductions being made.

6. I have completed 832 PC training. Can I obtain a Security Guard registration?

No. In order to get the Bureau’s registration/permit, you must complete the Bureau’s training.

7. Can an emancipated minor apply for a Security Guard registration?

No. The law allows no exceptions to the age requirement.

8. I am changing employers; should I send in a new Security Guard registration application?

No. A guard registration authorizes you to work as a Security Guard for any Private Patrol Operator or in-house employer.

9. I was denied a Security Guard registration. When can I reapply?

You may submit a new application one year from the date of denial.

10. I received a 1203.4 dismissal on my conviction. Do I still need to report the conviction on my application?

Yes. You still must report the conviction.