Firearms Permit FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions – Firearms Permit (FQ)

1. What are the requirements for obtaining a Firearms Permit?

To apply for a firearms permit you must:

  • Take a course and range time in carrying and use of firearms given by a training firearms facility.
  • Pass the written and range exams given at the end of the course.
  • Submit an application with appropriate fees.
  • Be a United States citizen or have permanent legal alien status.
  • Undergo a criminal history review
  • Be 18 years of age

2. How do I notify the Bureau of my change of address?

You must notify the Bureau in writing within 30 days of an address change. Be sure to include your permit number, all other Bureau license types and numbers, name, previous address, new address, date of birth and Social Security number. Please print the information.

3. I have completed 832 PC training. Can I obtain a Firearms Permit?

No. To be issued a Firearms Permit, you must complete the Bureau’s training at a Bureau-certified training facility.

4. If the Bureau misspelled my name on the Firearms Permit, is there a fee for a new one?

No. Submit a written request for a new permit. It will take approximately two weeks to receive a replacement permit.

5. When does a Firearms Permit expire? Is there any grace period?

A Firearms Permit expires on the date of expiration and there is no grace period. If you do not apply for renewal before the date of expiration, you must re-qualify and start over as a new applicant.

6. What is required for renewal of a Firearms Permit?

A Firearms Permit expires two years from the date of issuance. An applicant must re-qualify four times during the life of the permit: twice during the first year after the date of issuance, and twice during the second year. Re-qualifications must be at least four months apart.

7. If I qualified with a revolver, am I allowed to carry an “automatic” of the same caliber while on duty? (Ex. I qualified with a .38 revolver and a .45 automatic. Can I carry a .45 revolver since I qualified with a revolver and an automatic?)

The caliber must be the same; however, the firearms permit does not specify revolver or automatic.

8. How do I change or add a caliber on my Firearms Permit?

You must:

  • Re-qualify at a firing range.
  • Submit a firearms permit application obtained from the training facility. There is no fee for adding a caliber.
  • If you want a firearms permit showing the new caliber, you must submit a request for a duplicate permit along with the $10 fee. It takes approximately three to six weeks to receive the new Firearms Permit.

9. Does the Bureau issue concealed weapons permits?

No. Contact your local sheriff’s office or police department to obtain a concealed weapon permit.